2022-01-07

Day 8: HP Lovecraft Preparatory Academy SWADE - Dante Harrison, Savage Edition

Now let’s remake Dante in Savage Worlds Adventurers Edition (SWADE). If I remember correctly Savage Worlds is a rather old generic RPG for pulp-like stories that started out in life as a miniatures wargame. SWADE is the most recent edition and came out a few years back. This edition of the HPLPA rulebook is a lot shorter, maybe two-thirds of the PDQ book. I assume the reason is that they do not have the explanation of SWADE itself in the book, from what I can see. As such, you will need two books to play this version. SWADE can be found on DTRPG, and the website of Pinnacle Entertainment.

In Savage Worlds, character generation starts with a concept. We have one, Dante. First, we get to choose a race, but since HPLPA doesn’t have non-humans - well, hybrids, which is understood to be an alternative to being a summoner or witch or something - Dante is human. That means he will start with a free Edge; Edges are special effects/traits in Savage Worlds. I think this version of Dante will have Dante as Jack-of-all-trades, which makes it easier for him to roll for abilities he has no background in if he has a little time to come up with a solution. I think it goes well with his bookishness.

Next to pick up some Hindrances (flaws). I’d say Dante is Curious (Major Hindrance), and Loyal (Minor). That means I get three points to spend on other things (two for the major, one for the minor), though each will mean mechanical disadvantages later in play. I decide to raise one Attribute higher than usual and add another skill point as well.

Now I go for Attributes. SWADE ranks attributes and skills in dice ratings, and each attribute starts at D4. I get to spend 6 points for increases and need Smarts at D10 (for Jack-of-all-trades). Ok, Smarts at D10, Agility, Strength, Vigor at D6, Spirit at D4. For Skills, I get some general ones for free, and then spend 15+1 points. Athletics is where Dante shines, but he is no slouch in the academic department, a novice thief, and quite good with Cricket Statistics. And then all that remains is to calculate a few minor stats, like movement speed and so forth. I skip equipment and making up the stats for Az’Agg-go-orth, since this turns out to be more or less identical to the PDQ version. Just replace grades with dice ratings.

So, done

This was really quick, even more so than the PDQ version. I think Savage Worlds is a lot more lenient in terms of character ability, and I believe the rating of skills/attributes in the dice used instead of school grades is less colorful but easier in play. Then again I haven't played either system, so cannot really evaluate that. The final version will be the developer's own PIP system, and I am really curious how it'll be in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment