2022-01-22

Day 23: Sigil and Shadow - Aden Mavren, student and warlock

And now for the darker side of Sigil and Shadow. Let's create a monster. I mean, a Shadowed character. For this one, I will let the rolls on the background help determine a few things. I think it might be fun to create the Warlock who made Kiyana's life difficult.

The four Shadowed castings are Afflicted (by some supernatural bane that negatively influences everyday people), Devoted (cultists, warlocks, and the like), Host (possessed, half-demons, and so on), or Ravenous (vampire, werewolves, etc.). Obviously, Aden Mavren will be a Devoted. This makes his Drive "Servitude", meaning he recovers a Bone any time he devotes a scene to serving his patron. He also gets to ask the patron for a geas, a task that when fulfilled also grants a Bone.

For his background I roll an 80, making him a student. The plot thickens. He does not get an oddity (57). As a student he is a member of the Working Class (not to be taken literally, we are talking second-lowest income level in the game), and as such can choose to get the skill education. There are no associated perks yet. Instead, I get to roll what he studies to become, and then get to choose a perk from that list. A 33 means he studies to be... Clergy. The dice love me today. This means perks to choose from now include Defender, and Resolved. I go with Resolved; Defender means he has an easier time protecting others, and that sounds just wrong. Resolved gives +5 to Will. This brings me to his abilities, I go with Strength 45, Dex. 55, Logic 50, and Willpower 60. I am also starting to think Arden played around with some obscure "prayers" he found in a very rarely-read ancient book at the back of the library and initially thought he was making a deal with an angel. By now he knows better, but it is also too late to turn back. And a big part of him doesn't want to anymore, anyway.

Again I spend one bone to get a third skill level, and he gets Education (Theology), Larceny, and Arcana (Umbra). The latter means that if I also give him the ability to cast shadow magic, he is actually good at it. Poor Kiyana. As a Shadowed, Aden gets two Manifestations and one Burden. For the Manifestations I choose Blink, which in his case means he can step through shadows at medium range to more-or-less teleport, and Channel (Umbra), which lets him actually work shadow magic. For his Burden I choose Strange Compulsion - in Aden's case, he refuses to ever step into direct light. If he would ever try to step out of the comforting shadows, he would have to pass a Willpower check at -20. Yikes. I do not have to choose spells - magic in this game is rather freeform, and when playing Aden I could describe an effect based on Shadow magic, and the game would spit out a difficulty.

Now Decriptors - Aden is easy to anger and gullible. But he has an infectious smile going for him and is cool under pressure. Finally, he owns an (old, battered) minivan, a sword, a pistol, a Surveillance pack, and an Occultist pack. 

Done!



No comments:

Post a Comment