2022-01-18

Day 19: End Times (Pbta) - Lorraine Amanda Bescoe, as seen through apocalyptic eyes

Time to look at Lorraine again, this time in the PbtA version of End Times. Yesterday's link leads to both versions since they are part of the same package. This version starts with players and GM having a chat about which apocalypse to play. There are some suggestions, and mine isn't in there. We will still use it. Blight, PbtA-style. This would mean everyone takes turns describing a moment in an apocalypse montage, so to speak, but I feel we already have an idea of what happens. Now I go through the Playbooks and choose one. Mmhhh... I will go with Authority, someone who works for an organization that is/will become important and wants to rise through the ranks. From what I see the idea is for that to be part of a government, but I will just assume it'll fit somehow. I was tempted by Prepper, but this puts more of a focus on the militia/neighborhood help.

Then there are a bunch of questions that we have already answered, and the creation of the four formative experiences. See yesterday's post.

Now I have to come up with a "Pit" for Lorraine, something that might lead to a downward spiral. I think she has a tendency to live far too much for others, leading to a downward spiral of depression when she neglects her own needs. Next to go through the playbook. As an Authority, Lorraine as standard gets a move to Assert Authority and gets to choose two more. All Points Bulletin (making my org look for someone) and Name Recognition (she has a good reputation in her group, making it easier to deal with these people) seem like the most fitting choices. 

Then I choose her Stats from four pre-made selections and go with Flesh +2, Reason +0, Grit +0, Tools +1, People +1. Younger and older Lorraine are formed by choosing two words or phrases each to describe them from lists. Younger Lorraine will be Unafraid to Fight, and Judgemental. Older Lorraine Has Lost Faith in Humanity and Keeps the Peace. I could make up words of my own, but think these are fine.

For the first impression others have of present Lorraine I have to make my own and will go with Friendly Neighbourhood Watch member. For equipment, I choose a pistol, a toolbox, and a scooter. My three contacts are my mother, local teacher and one of the leaders of the neighborhood watch, the head of the local police department, and Linda, a local librarian who is rather close to my heart. For extraordinary possessions, I choose a kevlar vest and the bunker of a recently deceased prepper uncle. What remains is to have a chat with the other players about our relationships, but since they do not exist this will have to wait.

Done. Just as with the other version there is no easy way to post a character sheet, so see above.

In summary, I kind of like both approaches. The PbtA is a bit more restrictive, which is of course based on the more stringent approach to story-telling that is part of PbtA's strength. That said, I think the basic assumption is to make characters that are more in line with adventure stories than what I instinctively went for; none of the playbooks was a brilliant fit. I think if I were to run the game, I would go with the ORC version for that reason alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment